Monday, August 20, 2012

Step 1: Leave Everything Behind

Ok ok, so the title is a bit melodramatic, I agree.  But, I believe by the time you read this post, you'll find it hard to disagree that it's at very least true possession-wise, albeit hopefully not true in any other ways.  Just as a recap - because this is the first post to what is intended to be an ongoing blog - this is where I'm at physically, plan-wise, and mentally:

Physically: I'm currently in Tucson, AZ.  My last day here is August 27th, 2012.  I have been here since August of 2002.
Plan-wise:  I am moving to Melbourne, Australia on September 20th.  Between end of August and the flight to Melbourne, I will be in Phoenix, Michigan, and Vegas.
Mentally:   This is the million dollar question...I'd say I'm mentally not here and haven't been for a while.  Having been out of town (literally) half as much as I'm in town for the last year, it is hard to call a place "home" and equally difficult to show friends how much they mean without coming off as disingenuous...because you're ultimately moving.  What I'm looking forward to most about moving, counter-intuitively, is being in one place.  I realize the absurdity of that statement: moving around the world in an attempt to stay in one place that I can call "home".

So, let's see, I started 2012 with an amazing house in a great location, an overwhelming amount of possessions (in retrospect), and a wonderful group of friends.  My furniture consisted of 2 great (and new) sofas, a great bed frame (also less than a year old), a dresser, 2 end tables, a sizable kitchen table, a giant flat-screen TV, a filled bookcase, 3 bikes, and a futon.  I also donated 6 car trips worth of items to Goodwill (https://plus.google.com/photos/106447775896181026498/albums/5778815943974220993?authkey=CM7mm-rO5LqNGw). Yes, I have chronicled all items for tax purposes - feel free to ask, I also have it in list form.  Truly, I'm actually a little upset with myself for putting it all in email (for the list portion) and not putting it in a google doc.  My OCD weeps at the thought...

This all begs the question, "what do you have left if you are lamenting so much over what you have gotten rid of?"  Well my friend, I'm glad you asked.  It's thankfully brief: one large suitcase of clothes (hot weather and cold weather), climbing gear (pack, rope, draws, and trad gear), 2 bikes (MTB still needs to be sold and commuter which will be left with my brother), camping gear (tent, sleeping bag, and pad...which may be left here depending on room), and a few electronics (laptop, iPad, and chargers).  Or, in other words, 1.5 car loads worth (because of the bikes).  The picture below shows what I plan to take with me on the trip (minus the bikes, camping gear, and most of the climbing gear).

My point in writing this - besides an update for anyone curious - is to share what it feels like to be rid of most of life's acquired possessions.  It is/was surprisingly easy, which I don't say lightly.






No comments:

Post a Comment